The vehicle must be measured as it will run down the road, its weight on the tires. We make ordering your shaft fast & easy!
1. Pick the shaft that fits your needs:
- Type #A – Standard Slip – 2 Joint
Need measurement for U-Joint at both ends.
- Type #B – Reverse Slip – 2 Joint
Need measurement for rear U-Joint only
- Type #C – CV/Double Cardan
Need measurement for U-Joint at both ends
2. Determine end attachments required
3. Determine proper working length:
Select a drawing 1 through 5 below that best represents your parts and measure the distances “X” and “Y” shown between the arrows while the vehicle is fully resting on its suspension, NOT on a “Chassis Hoist” or “On a Jack.”
Handy Measuring Tips
Please take note of the suggestions below when making measurements.
- The vehicle must be measured as it is to operate. Jacking up the vehicle will change your dimensions.
- If your vehicle has a bolt-on transmission yoke, measure between U-joint center lines.
- If there is a flange mount on either or both ends, measure to the face(s).
- When you install U-bolts do not over-tighten them. “D” dimensions 1-1/16″ and 1-1/8″: 14 to 17 ft. lb.; “D” dimension 1-3/16″: 10-25 ft. lb.; “D” dimension 1-3/8″: 32-37 ft. lb.
- If you have specified grease able U-joints, grease them after installation of drive shaft.
Measuring Yokes for U-Joint Size
- Measure for U-joint size at third member yoke.
- These dimensions must be accurate. If you don’t get them, check for wear at “E” or “A.”
|Measuring based on the diagram at left, you should obtain one of the following pairs of measurements for “E” and “D.” Make note of these measurements for use in the order form.